clock

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Poppy flower

Poppy flower


The inspiration for this column began at the local shopping mall. Yeah, I know it is a pretty bizarre place to get any kind of inspiration let alone gardening inspiration but sometimes you just have to go with the flow. You see sitting out front of one of the mega stores was a WWII veteran and what looked like his grandson. On the shaky card table were a bunch of red silk poppies and a can for donations.

I always put some money in the can and get a poppy to wear. It's a habit I picked up from my Dad when I was a little kid. He always bought a poppy and kept it in the visor of his truck. I didn't know why he did this exactly except that it had something to do with the war. He was a veteran of WWII and since he is no longer around to buy his poppy I do it for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment